Tuesday, May 17, 2011

50th Birthday Cake

This was my 1st time doing a cake in silver.  This was a test of my patience and confidence - but I prevailed--yay!!!  A wonderful lady had her 50th birthday this past weekend and commissioned this cake.  Her colors were silver and white and when I was discussing her cake with her- I had a picture of a cake that I thought was lovely and would be perfect adapted to the and colors that she wanted.  This is how it turned out and I couldn't be happier. 
Note on Silver-- It takes a lot of silver luster dust to create this wonderful shade of silver.  I started spraying it first with chefmate silver spray--since I don't own an airbrush machine yet--soon hopefully-- and then because our local cake store didn't have anymore in stock, I had to switch to the dust.  Overall thoughts are- I think the spray works better at covering large areas since the luster dust has to be painted on and you can see the brush strokes in the right light-- luckily her party was in the dark and the lines weren't visible
I was given the advice to color the fondant with a couple drops of black gel color and a couple drops of royal blue gel color.  I thought it looked too gray- didn't have the shiny affect that I was looking for.  Learned a lot on this cake and am ready for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment