Thursday, March 3, 2011

CARS----Mater the Towmater Cake

My husband and I had never seen the entire Cars movie, so when I was asked to make a Mater cake for a friend's son's 2nd birthday, we sat down with our girls and watched the movie all the way through.  This is the first movie that they sat all the way through and watched.  For 18 months, we thought that was pretty good.  So after watching the movie and searching through some other cake pictures, I got inspired and this cake is what I came up with.  I am getting big into using Rice krispy treats, because it offers an alternative to cake at parties.  So, I made Mater our of RKT--had to make 3 batches because my husband ate the back half of Mater.-- ("that was the taste test"). The cake is half chocolate and half butter/vanilla sponge.  I covered with white buttercream and airbrushed some green over the entire cake for 2 reasons: 1. to give a variation of green to look more like ground and 2. to avoid having green teeth when it was eaten.  I used brown sugar--some of it was already in the stone look-- I didnt' smooth them, so they looked like rocks beside the road.  I had a lot of fun making this cake--it was a little tricky because this was my first vehicle--but pretty much everytime I make a cake especially shaped cakes- it's a first.  Always learning and loving what I do!!!!  Keep the requests and ideas coming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment